It’s that time again where I offer another one of my video game ideas. This isn’t one of those original ideas. But it is one I hold dear to my heart. The Venture Bros., words can’t describe how much I love this series. I could go on about the show’s subtle nuances and kitschy humor; but I’ll spare you the agony. It’s not Shakespeare but it is a damn good show and just flat-out hilarious. If you’re unfamiliar with it, stop reading right now and head to Hulu, Netflix, or your local video retailer.
A few years back the creators, Christopher McCulloch (aka Jackson Publick) and Doc Hammer, weren’t too keen on the idea of a video game. But there’s no denying the series lends itself completely to the video game format. Hopefully their stance has since softened. In my opinion, it’s inevitably bound to happen. I know Adult Swim has been cranking out a ton of mobile games, but this would need to be a full-blown console adaptation (Playstation 3, XBox 360, & Wii). There’s just too much material and quirky extras they deal with. And that’s one of the many reasons why I love this show: It always keeps you on your toes. Since everything isn’t told in a straight-forward manner; you’ll usually have a few questions stashed away in the back of your mind. Some parts are gleaned upon or even left out completely for a later time. This provides the perfect setting for the game. They can label it as one of the lost episodes. Too trite you say? Why not revisit a past event form the show and allow players to experience a new perspective on the event or what “really” happened. Or…they can present a brand spanking new adventure set in the series future. This would also serve as a great teaser and inside scoop of things to come in the show. Whatever the case may be, I’m sure it’ll be awesome.
From the high level view, I envision it as an action beat-em up with some light platforming and exploring. Players would be able to control and switch off between 2 (to four) characters per level. Initial entries would include: Hank & Dean (possibly with Sgt. Hatred) / Doc & H.E.L.P.e.R. (or Jonas) / The Monarch & Dr. Girlfriend / Henchman 21 & 24 / The Order of the Triad (with Triana as an assist). Brock could run his levels solo, just for the simple fact he’s Brock Samson. Mr. White and Quizboy Billy would probably be better suited in a bonus level capacity. They’d provide some interconnected trivia challenge or brainteaser. Even the original Team Venture can be thrown in as a hidden bonus. As usual, I have to throw in a few of my achievements / trophies ideas. Most of these would be for standard level completion, item collection, etc. along with some that are character-centric.
Achievement / Trophy Possibilities:
- John. Bonham. Rocks!: Brock Samson, Settle an old score with David Bowie.
- What’s Good for the Noose…: The Monarch & Dr. Girlfriend, Squash the rebellion within the Guild (of Calamitous Intent).
- Don’t Forget Your 4chan Cookie: Henchmen 21 & 24, 100% item collection
- Chinatown 2.0: Complete the Venture Family & Friends Tree (clones & drones included).
- Androgynous Binds: Order of the Triad level completion.
- Swedish Murder Machine: Complete the game without ever letting Brock Samson die…EVER.
- Going Against the Brain: Beat Master Billy Quizboy at his own game.
- Am I My Brother’s Reaper?: Rusty & Jonas Venture, Discover the real story about their birth.
- Smart and Lonely Is Rich: Help Richard Impossible discover Sally’s secret.
- They Finally Dropped!: Help Action Johnny overcome his daddy issues.
- State of Concurrence: Stop Phantom Limb from recreating the Revenge Society.
- The Hardy Boys would be Proud!: Hank & Dean 100% item completion (clues, bits of nostalgia, and the rare Original Team Venture 8-bit video game cartridge).
Given Adult Swim’s track record with video game adaptations, I doubt this ever sees the light of day. And if it did, it’d probably be shipped off to some off-brand developer and forgotten until it shipped (see the dismal offerings of Harvey Birdman & ATHF). But given how popular this show is, I’m expecting this license will receive a bit more attention. Regardless of what happens, I just hope it retains the fun natured spirit of the show. Until then, I’m happy re-watching the DVD’s.
Go Team Venture!!!